My Dear Hearts,
I am so sorry to tell you that it's really hard to find copies of my book Hello, Cruel World.Last night, I wanted to get buy a couple of couple of copies for friends. I'm watching my budget, so I went to Amazon, who carries the book at the lowest price. I found out that the book is not currently available. Amazon says it might ship in anywhere from one to four months. I tried to buy it someplace else, and this is what I found:
- Barnes & Noble is carrying the book and say it's in stock... cost is 30% more than Amazon
- I found about 20 copies at www.abe.com. 8 copies are available at cost. 9 copies are available from US$ 26 to US$ 60.
- 11 copies of the book are available on eBay. 5 are reasonably priced, the rest range from $47 to $122.
- Borders says it's on back order, and will ship in 1 to 4 weeks.
- Powells Books in Portland has one copy left.
- Elliot Bay Books in Seattle has 3 copies.
- St. Marks Bookshop NYC and Giovanni's Room in Philadelphia say it can be special ordered, time depending on availability.
- Strand Bookstore NYC has no copies.
My literary agent, Malaga Baldi, and I are working with my publisher, Seven Stories Press to fix this. They publish some magnificent titles, and I'm honored to be part of their stable. But the economy is the economy, and I'm told that it looks like the book will go into it's 4th printing and back on the shelves sometime in the first week of October. In the meantime…
- The book is available at many school and public libraries.
- There are also many LGBTQetc centers who keep a copy of the book on hand.
- You can download a free four-page version of the book, which I'm pretty sure will do a good job at helping you stay alive for a good year or so.
- Hello, Cruel World is available as an ebook. It's easy to find. I hate it. It looks ugly. But it's cheap, and all the words and most of the pictures made it into the electronic editions.
- You can find great tips from me and a whole slew of teens, freaks, and other outlaws by searching the Twitter hashtag #stayalive. I'm sorry, but you will need to set up a Twitter account to search it. But, then you can contribute #stayalive suggestions of your own. Instant interactivity, plus everyone wins and gets to stay alive.
Again, my most sincere apologies for allowing this to go un-noticed. I'll do the best I can to make reasonably priced copies of the book available again as soon as possible. In the meantime, if you know where there's a stash of these books, please post a link in the comments section of this blog. Thanks.